Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ever want to join the circus?

One of the great joys of having a young child is rediscovering the books that we loved as children. There are the old classics, the new classics, and books that struck a chord with us for whatever reason all those years ago.

My current favorite is "Put Me in the Zoo" by Robert Lopshire and published in 1960 by Random House under the Cat in the Hat Beginner Book label. Using only 100 different words and about 60 pages, Mr. Lopshire tells in gentle rhyme the story of a large spotted animal rejected by the zoo.

Bear-like, but with a long thin tail, he puts his spots through a number of amazing tricks for his two young companions, then asks them:

"Tell me. Tell me, now,
you two.
Do you like
the things I do?
Tell me. Tell me, now,
you two.
Will they put me
in the zoo?"

Oh, the longing to belong in the zoo. Oh, the longing to belong, anywhere.

His new friends have different ideas, however, leading to a different place to belong, and giving new meaning to running away to join the circus.

If you have a chance to read to a young child, revisit an old favorite at your local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment